View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
True. I was really being specific to the Stevie and Lindsey era. I guess I think if you're a Lindsey fan you would at least appreciate his contribution and production on Stevie's songs, even if it's not your thing lyrically. I tend to look at Fleetwood Mac music as it was meant to be - the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, to borrow LB's favorite phrase. For example, there are a lot of "Buckingham Nicks" songs that I appreciate Christine's presence on, even if I thought they were really great with only Buckingham Nicks. I mean to dislike Stevie means you don't listen to Dreams, Rhiannon, Sara, Gypsy, Landslide, Gold Dust Woman.... these are all songs synonymous with Fleetwood Mac. I don't see what kind of fandom is left if you're not into that. I mean I like Paul McCartney better than John Lennon, but without him there is no Beatles. It's the same school of thought the Christine fans have -- that it's not Fleetwood Mac without her. I can understand that because it's the meshing of the members that made up the thing to begin with. Otherwise, they would just be solo artists or not artists at all.
I listen to Dreams and GDW. I don't enjoy the rest of the songs you listed and I don't think it ruins any fandom I have. I do fine with Tusk, GYOW, SMAP, ISA, Big Love, The Ledge, Not That Funny, etc. I will say that Stevie's songs seemed to greatly benefit from Lindsey's help but in the end they are still her lyrics/melodies and I just don't enjoy her music at the end of the day. I do appreciate Lindsey's guitar parts of those songs, especially Gypsy, but that's really not enough for me to want to listen to them. But I also have no problem if they were to just become solo artists and in fact I would prefer it. Yes FM is what first made them popular and why we know them today and I'm grateful for that but that doesn't mean I have to like Stevie's music. Everyone takes something different from music and has different tastes, I don't know why not enjoying the same arbitrary parts of the music you think are essential makes them any less of a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I mean I like Paul McCartney better than John Lennon
That explains a lot.