Thread: "Corrections"
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
I am wondering if any of you has read this book by american author Jonathan Franzen. I am about to finish it and I 've got to say that I am pretty amazed by it. Unfortunately I am reading the greek translation (even though I have the english version also at home) and I 'm guessing it must be even smarter and perhaps funnier in the original.
I also read recently in Wikipedia (I think) that there are plans for a movie and I am sure it could turn out to be a very good film.
Any thoughts?
I loved The Corrections, and I always felt bad that Franzen got so much **** for his anti-Oprah stance. Certainly it was a somewhat snobby thing to do, but completely understandable, I think.

Anyway, obviously I don't know what the Greek translation is like, but the English is indeed very smartly written and often funny as hell. I doubt I'd really want to see a film of the novel, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I imagine it will be popping up on recommendation lists for quite a few years. I think it does a fantastic job of capturing the unwitting dysfunction of so many modern American families.