View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Rob, do you really think democracy is going to flourish in a place where it is imposed by outsiders? Please tell me when such an endeavor has succeeded elsewhere. A sovereign people has to want a democracy. So far what we've seen in Iraq creates very real doubts. What you have is several factions fighting for power. If one overpowers the others, do you think they will extend democracy to them?

We should have learned our lesson from Vietnam and the countless instances of meddling in Latin America, Africa and elsewhere. When I think of the squandered chances for true democracies in Central and South America in favor of supporting ruthless dictators, it makes me sad and angry. Very angry.
Well...who's to say if Democracy will work, it hasn't been tried yet over there. The Japanese government seems to have flourished under a US backed Democracy. They have retained their culture and independance and regained a level of prominence in the world. Yes, the situation is volatile right now. But don't forget...it's only been months since the "conflict" began and they just finally caught SH. Give it time. I don't think that the Bush administration has handled the post conflict situation well. But regardless of what we do, it will take years before the results are fully realized. Besides, it is better then continually appeasing these countries.

Vietnam was a terrible tragedy and a mistake in hindsight. And I agree with you, we have supported dictatorships in the past that turned out to be major mistakes. I guess you have to look at it in context of the time and situation. SOmetimes you have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

I just don't buy into this feeling that the US is the great evil in the world and that we are the cause of all the worlds problems. If you look at our history, we have generally acted for the good of mankind. Of course there have been mistakes and we aren't perfect. But people take our freedoms and country for granted. I think this is the greatest country in the world. If I didn't, I wouldn't live here.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller