View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think her legendary status got her in and I don't mean that in a complimentary way. I think it was Aleuzzi who says that now seeing Fleetwood Mac is on everyone's bucket list. And, similarly, Stevie has permanently become etched in everyone's mind as a rock goddess.

You know how people become iconic for being iconic? My niece has this collection of Marilyn Monroe t-shirts and I am 95% sure she has never actually seen a Marilyn Monroe movie. Some people gain a status that is removed and greater than what they've actually accomplished.

Marilyn Monroe was a good actress and she did get boxed in to a stereotype that the studio execs wouldn't let her break out of. She was more than she was given credit for in her time, but she wasn't as great as her legend has made her. I feel the same way about Stevie.
I'd say Stevie is even more comparable to Elizabeth Taylor who outlived Marilyn by decades in that she like Liz in her lifetime does not really have to do anything creative anymore to remain famous. She is rock stardom personified .