View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
You are missing the point. Exclude the money (though clearly he made millions off of each and Tusk was a financial success by any rational standard despite the lore)
Tusk was certainly a success by Lindsey's standards, but not by the industry's standards, which is why putting out a solo album that was more experimental than Tusk, meant that it was destined not to sell, but Lindsey didn't seem to care about his solo album sales.

As the New York Times put it: '' Tusk ,'' widely regarded as a commercial failure for having sold a mere two million copies, won Mr. Buckingham critical admiration for his willingness to ditch a hit-making formula in favor of daring sonic experimentation.

Or as the Chicago Tribune describes it: "Tusk," the Buckingham-driven Fleetwood Mac now-classic that was regarded as an adventurous failure when it was released in 1979.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
He simultaneously gained huge exposure on both records and tours. That exposure or momentum if you will helped his solo records released soon thereafter sell. To me, that is a no brainer.
I don't know if it helped his solo records or not, because they didn't sell. I do know that if he was only interested in money, fame and exposure, that he wouldn't have spent so much time outside of FM, not recording and not touring, when the rest of the band wanted him to do so.

Now, the tables have turned. He seems to want FM now and has ever since SYW. As soon as SYW came out, Lindsey started saying that he would never have to make another solo album again, if he could continue to express himself through the band and make new FM records. And he wanted to tour then. Wants to tour now. Even says he'd be up to doing a BN tour. His change and eagerness kind of scare me, because he was not that way about the band in the past.

Michele