View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I just checked my CD booklet from O.K. Ken? This is from the liner notes:

"The voices of John Peel, Hughie Green, Max Wall, Kenneth Williams, Chris Wood, Rt. Hon. Harold Wilson, Steptoe and Son, and that of a Radio 5 announcer, appear by courtesy of Stan Webb/Special Effects: Harry Simmonds Chorale/M.C. for "Live" Track: Harry Boxer."

I don't know most of these names, do you Gail? Wasn't Harold Wilson Prime Minister of Britain? I've never heard of Albert Steptoe either.

By the way, why don't you still have your vinyl copy of O.K. Ken? That's worth quite a bit of money these days. I'd love to get a vinyl copy of both Chicken Shack albums, but they're just so expensive.
John Peel was a DJ who died quite recently most famous for championing new young bands
Hughie Green was the presenter of an awful TV show in the 60's called Opportunity Knocks which was an earlier verions of shows like Pop Idol - catch phrase "and I mean that most sincerely folks I really do"
Max Wall was a comedian (deceased)
Chris Wood - never heard of him (her?)
Kenneth Williams was a very camp comedian (deceased)
Harold Wilson former Labour Prime Minister (deceased) once said "this will not affect the pound in your pocket" which was repeated many times by various impersonators
Steptoe & Son - sitcom about father & son rag & bone men. Albert was the father and Harold the son. I always though Albert was a digusting dirty old man. The bloke who played him was a total screaming queen!

I've just thought - do you know what a rag & bone man is? You don't see them any more but basically it was a man with a horse and cart who collected any old rubbish and bric a brac that people wanted to get rid of. I haven't seen one since I was a little girl (which was many moons ago)

Her endeth the lesson on British culture of the 60's!

I got rid of most of my vinyl when I bought my first CD player because I didn't keep my turntable. I've never been one for keeping things but maybe I should have kept hold of a few of them to sell and keep me in my old age!

Gail