View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
Back in 1998, when I forst became a Fan, RAL and OSOTM were totally uncool cheesy 80s. Yuck.

But. Osotm has grown on me and I like it a lot now. RAL is so... hodgepodge. Too many chefs in the kitchen. And some really bad crapola. Osotm was unified and consistent and very well produced by Holmes. Its very atmopsheric and mystical. I dont know how she pulled off the vocals though in her Klonopin phase. Her demos from that era were TRASH. (Tradedy of ones own soul/Lilly Girl) how Holms pulled any emotion out of her was a miracle. Im sure it wook the co-writers on that album a lot to make a purse out of those sows ears.

Her first two albums are classic “Heartbreakers” rock, so they stand the test of time a lot better. They also faired better in the late 90s and beyond because that “sound” never really went out of style except for the mid to late 80s. Grundge brought back the accoustic sound that enabled acts like Sheryl Crow, And late 90s bands like Oasis and Verve and the jacob Dylan band to have hits with real instruments. That lasted into the early 2000s with Santana making a comeback and Stevie to have TISL make top 3 with a Sheryls Crow “sound” wnd demos from the Belladonna era. The big mistake with TIsL was same as RAL where she couldnt decide in a cohesive “sound” and mixed the Belladonna era songs with cheesy early 2000s synth pop crapola that sounds dated. Of course it ALL came crashing down when Pop music strayed toward Britney Speaks, NStnc and american Idol garbage.
Yes its a miracle Stevie got to complete OSOTM before her lights went out completely. Writing wise, its her second best effort after Bella Donna IMHO. The songs are so autobiographical where she is subtle and direct at times. Long Way To Go about drug addiction with her lover Joe Walsh and then breaking up. Two Kinds of Love, the lust and love of Joe Walsh and staying up at parties for days, Ghosts - living in the past and a bit afraid of the future, Escape from Berlin - incredible writing about addiction. The album does come with a few duds - Cry Wolf - a song that was passed around to almost every singer in CA and Blue Eyes - a lame cover.
Bella Donna and Wild Heart did have Heartbreaker feel. RAL is just so scattered. OSOTM was definitely a chance in a different direction. Her first album with no Heartbreakers. Being on tour with Fleetwood Mac she was inspired by songs she heard on the radio by Bruce Hornsby and Kenny G. She wanted to work with them and have them on her next album. Mistake? Not sure. They definitely contribute to the album in a constructive way but their sound is so distinctive it distorts her sound a bit. I heard Stevie on Rockline in 1989 and when she described the meaning of each song, I liked them even more. I think OSOTM would have been more successful if released in 1987 (impossible I know). Just like I believe Sometimes Its a Bitch would have been a top 10 single if released in 1988 at the peak of Jon Bon Jovi mania.
Back to your point, OSOTM does have a cohesive sound. I also agree her demos for OSOTM are horrible. I hate to copy Stevie's words but I do agree its her magic album. Besides the writing I love the music. Rick Marotta pounding on the drums on Oooh My Love is just incredible. He really makes that song so good.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-30-2018 at 02:12 PM..