View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don't think the band considered BB and RV duds, but they clearly didn't generate the excitement or interest level the label wanted. Behind the Mask went Gold but Save Me just cracked the top 40 singles. My guess is, BB was in the running to be invited back, but they decided to go with Neil instead, as it would generate more media interest, plus maybe bring along some of his fans to the Mac.

Boy, I would love to know who else was in the running. I'm sure FM would have done anything they could to get Tom Petty to join! Not saying he would have, but you gotta think they would have wanted him.
Don Henley did an interview for Musician magazine or some music magazine in 1984 when his solo album was released. There was talk about joining former Eagles and Mac members together to form some band. Lindsey worked with Don and they were good friends. Don wanted Lindsey in the band. They even had a name for the potential band but I forget it. It was more pipe dream talk though. At the time the Mac was pretty much a dead band with nothing new in sight.

Behind the Mask was considered a major flop for the band. It struggled to even go Gold for awhile. One minor hit from the album was not their standard at all. They had high hopes but the music industry was changing back then too. Because of the lack of commercial success led to the temporary demise of the band after the album's release. If the album had been a huge success who knows what would have happened. But everything happens for a reason. This decline led to the Dance later and the reunion of the Rumours lineup.

I just thought of a theory. Because Stevie no doubt wanted to tour with Campbell he was first pick. Maybe they thought if they could not pick both Rick and Billy it would be unfair to just pick one.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-10-2018 at 06:01 PM..