Thread: The Gay Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
... it's just not my thing. Marriage, whether hetero or homo, just turns me off. It's an antiquated custom.
That's generally how I've felt so far. It sort of surprised me to find myself involved in the fight for 'allowing' same sex marriages but I was involved in a broader human rights activism. In a way it's the same situation as with orientation in that what feels right to one person is different for another in these personal areas. I really seemed to get through to some religious traditionalists by always remembering to tell them that they are right when they say such and such is wrong... wrong for them, and they should listen to others when they are saying something is wrong (or right) for them in the exact same way. I can certainly (begin to) understand something of the bad feelings many have toward the religious however. Like the variety of gender expressions and orientations though I don't think they're going away any time soon.

For all we know, gay monogamous couples may have been around since before any organized religions performed marriage rites over which to feel proprietary. The ancient Spartan Greeks for example. Marriage is a descriptive word rather than the copyrightable or trade-markable invention some seem to claim. As a society we simply need to recognize this, and if we are going to recognize only some that is illogical.

Now back to thinking about golden looping chest hair glistening in the sun... or maybe moonlight?