View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi, Tony. Yes, I think they've all done that in various contexts at one time or another. In fact, it reminded me of Stevie's radio interview with Jim Ladd in 1979 where she addresses this "my band" stuff directly.

https://youtu.be/VLpSBzTf3Mw?t=325

All good points. But I wouldn't have expected her necessarily to mention Sandy, Campbell, Rick, Dave Stewart, or any of her producers besides the guys who totally got her started: Danny and Paul, who formed Modern primarily to get Stevie started, and Jimmy, who wasn't only her first solo producer but her career sine qua non. The other guys, like Waddy, played major roles but it's really Danny, Paul, and Jimmy who created "Stevie Nicks" the solo act. They were the project managers when the project was launched. I suppose she could have rambled off a list at the end of her speech of a bunch of these other guys (and of course women like Sheryl, without whom there'd probably not be a Shangri La album and tour). But she yacked ad hoc for so long that there just didn't seem to be an opportunity.

I thought her anecdotal "speech" was everything others have said: airheaded and incoherent and fun. (In fact, as is typical for me these days, I like hearing her talk a lot more than I like hearing her sing.) But I don't think it was even her best (or near her best) rambling-style speech. While she's speaking, she seems to vaguely recall having mentioned many of these stories before and so she ellides them almost subconsciously until they make no sense if you aren't already aware of what she's referring to. I would imagine that a huge portion of that audience (which was there to see the Cure and Def Leppard and Roxy Music) was completely lost.
I see what you mean, but Dave Stewart is largely responsible for resuscitating her solo career and helping her "brand" herself as the scatterbrained witch we love to see. I'm surprised she didn't recognize him for that.

If she's going to mention Tom Petty, she might as well mention the Petty guitarist who helped her co-write a number of her solo songs AND who is working with her present mothership band. And Sandy Stewart? Well, she's a woman--and since this was supposed to be a woman-positive speech, it would have been cool to recognize one of her successful collaborators.