View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Thanks guys. I still find it odd they didn't develop it for Future Games. If it was written during the Kiln House period I could understand it not making that album due to the legal issues.If they thought enough of it to play it live you'd imagine they'd have reworked it for the next album though. Anyway, glad it eventually turned out as it did for Bare Trees.
Actually, Christine had a number of songs in her arsenal when she joined. A few I can think of are "Lonely Without You" (which can be heard live in one of the sets from the Madison Blues compilation); some blues shuffle I can't recall the name of (possibly "All Right for Now"?) which I believe Steve MacD once shared with us--it's opening chords are almost identical to those that introduce "Remember Me"; and the four songs she recorded with her solo band for a radio performance (also on Madison Blues).

I think "Spare Me" was not used on Future Games because in making that album the band were purposefully trying to create a new sound and look entirely ahead. Danny Kirwan, for example, could have included "Purple Dancer" or "Down at the Crown," though the band seemed dead set on forging ahead with an entirely new sound and new songs. In this way, Future Games is among the most radical albums in the FM catalog. It got mixed reviews--and a harsh write up in Rolling Stone. Perhaps this is why Bare Trees seems closer in spirit to Mac's previous albums, a return to guitar-dominated rock with driving blues rhythms. Bare Trees was also very quickly recorded, which means maybe Christine didn't have enough time to write two new songs for it. "Homeward Bound" was new. With "Spare Me" she and Danny selected from the vault...