View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Well Stevie's dramatic but I would assume it's more than one guy. She was involved with various married/taken men (Mick, Derek Taylor, Rupert Hine, the rehab guy she wrote FWIW about, etc). Why she did that numerous times I don't really understand but she probably was just able to relate to the feeling the song conveyed about that type of situation.
Two of her "great love affairs" - Mick and Joe Walsh - were carried on while the men were married. However, I doubt "Borrowed" applies to Joe, who separated from his wife by 1985 although not divorcing her until 1988, and while touring with Stevie in 1983 apparently wasn't spending too much time with the mother of his child. Tsk, tsk. He was not faithful to Stevie as their affair wound down, certainly. And yet Stevie apparently fantasized about giving up her career to marry him... that's what I don't understand!

But I digress. Was she drawn to married men? Was there something about "forbidden fruit"? Was it the idea that in the end, she knew that it wouldn't be permanent - maybe deep down she really didn't want something permanent?

Maybe, but I think it was just because most of the men she worked most closely with were married, and those were the men she connected with. When it came to their marital status her attitude was "Hey, if he wants it, and I want it, it's all good. Love is what's important" etc. etc. In other words, she simply didn't care. No guilt, no hesitation, no sense that she was doing anything wrong if it was done in the name of love. JMHO.

There is one line from "Borrowed" that acknowledges such affairs are wrong, which problematizes my theory a bit, but nothing says this song has to match her feelings beat-for-beat for her to relate to the main theme.... "I don't want to give you back" to the significant other.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-20-2018 at 12:00 PM..