View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I have to ask you, how were John and Lindsey? Was John as quiet in person as we always hear? And what was Lindsey like?

I've met Mick, and thought it was so-so. He seemed very distant and his responses were pretty canned.
In my interactions in 2004:

- John was soft-spoken and unpretentious--exactly as you'd expect! I handed him a copy of the Gypsy vinyl 7-inch single, because he is purported to have sung a bit on the b-side cover of Cool Water. As he signed it (on the A-side, whoops) he smilingly said something brief and light-heartedly self-effacing about his vocal contributions. If I hadn't been standing about 3 inches from him I wouldn't have caught what he said; but he had a deep, strong voice, so it's just a volume issue apparently. ("Turn the knobs to 11, Johnny!")

- I seem to remember being surprised by how petite Lindsey appeared in person, but then I'm quite tall, and I guess on both occasions I'd spent the preceding three hours staring up at him from a meter below (front row, Lindsey side). He came across as uber relaxed/composed, no airs, cool (in the good sense), and just plain generous about connecting with whatever loony fans came his way! As in all the interviews, his manner was subdued and 'underplayed,' but when he talked he actually projected his voice (take a hint, John ). On both occasions he came across as genuinely excited or pleasantly surprised at certain points, his voice going a bit high and his expression changing dramatically, which made it feel all the more like a 'real' interaction.

- You've met Mick yourself so no insights here probably, but to me he came across on both occasions as highly self-possessed and charismatic, with a refined gentlemanly manner and an undeniable 'gravitas' that was completely contradictory to his on-stage antics (which can also be said of Lindsey). Other than his legendary status and name, I think his physical stature has a lot to do with it; on the first occasion I talked to him (to get him to sign a copy of the Visitor LP) I was utterly tongue-tied. He was extremely gracious, in a paternalistic way. He sped off quickly though (I think to the bathroom, poor guy ).

One thing I can't swear about but ex-Ledgie and my fellow 'deranged fan' at the time Lux would be able to clarify/verify/correct were she still here is that in the second interaction, backstage after a Sydney concert, there were some Australian actors/celebrities backstage along with us pleb fans, and Mick was spending most of his time down the hall away from the 'fan room', gabbing with a major Aussie actor of similar age to him, and as I seem to remember Lux telling it, when Lindsey appeared in the hallway the actor called out to Lindsey as if to summon him, but when Lindsey noticed Lux (in her goth/punk garb) he gave the actor short shrift and came to hang out with us and other other fans instead.