View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
The singles reeled me into this band but the deep cuts are why I've stayed . Robert Christgau (a pretty notable music critic) had something pretty interesting to say about it when he was reviewing their '88 Greatest Hits album:

"To my surprise, I had more fun replaying side two of Mirage, which turns out to have some weird and pleasant **** on it. Reminding me that what distinguished them from your average great pop band was that their hits were improved by their putative filler. So with some obvious--in fact, all too familiar--exceptions, the radio-ready format makes them seem blander than they actually are."

Some of the deep cut tracks I rank with their best work, even if they work best in the context of their respective albums:
1. Blue Letter: I like pop-rock Lindsey, this songs a bop if there ever was one and I don't know WHY none of his songs from this album were singles.
2. Warm Ways: I can understand the criticisms this songs gets but... it's just SO lush and pleasant to listen to, plus Chris's voice is beautiful here. Its placement between two rocking Lindsey songs lends some variety to the album and makes the punch at the start of Blue Letter more impactful.
3. Straight Back: Stevie's probably at her most esoteric here and its got a WEIRD arrangement to it but it works so well. The layered vocals, strange keyboards, rare Stevie-Chris harmonies, its amazing.
4. Oh Daddy: A mood. I wanted to dance to this song at my wedding but every single person I told was absolutely repulsed by the idea so i changed my plan
5. Never Forget: The harmonies!
6. Beautiful Child/Storms: I listen to them both together when I'm in *that* kind of mood. They're just so miserable, they're amazing.
7. Heart of Stone: Favorite song of the dark era (besides Love Shines)
8. Crystal: Gorgeous vocals and instrumentation, by far the best version of this song.
9. Isn't It Midnight: Favorite song on Tango by a mile, and I like most of Tango quite a bit.
10. Brown Eyes: H A R M O N I E S. Also John McVie at his best.
Wow, I love everything you love.

Fleetwood Mac's version of Crystal to me is one of their best songs ever. It's so improved, warmer, lusher, walking bass line, better harmonies, amazing keyboard outro.