Thread: Say You Will
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Illume is pure Lindsey. I used to say the same thing about Over and Over. I actually had the live album before Tusk. So I was used to the live version and the album version is cold and has no warmth yet the lyrics are warm and inviting.
It's part of Lindsey's production. Was 9/11 warm and fuzzy? No.
My point is that its perfectly fine to not like the song but the reasons people give irk me. Do people really want a catchy pop song about 9/11. Has anyone listened to the song with headphones? Its more of a poem set to music than a song to sing along to.
The song is unpredictable. You don't know where its going with any melody. It sounds like Stevie is singing into a tube in her bathroom. Its cold and distant. Its about mass death and escaping the stench. It captures every element of the feeling of 9/11 IMHO. Its actually confusing the first few times you hear it. Remember the confusion of 9/11?
I can appreciate what Lindsey did with the song because its all him. It would have been an easy pass to put it on an album but I am glad it did. Lindsey calls himself a painter and this painting would be a dark and confusing painting. People would not like the painting and fear it or say "it does nothing for me." But if someone explained the painting to you, you would appreciate what the artist was conveying.
Illume is probably my favourite track on the album. Dark and dramatic, it captures the mood of the time. Stevie really tears into the vocals for the most part, and the trance-like beat and heavy instrumentals are really effective.