Thread: Is this fair?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Waddy doesn't arrange?
There is no doubt that Lindsey turned Dreams from okay to great. Three chords: F, G, Am7. That was it. Played simply on my keyboard at home, it is a proper dud. On Rumours it is a gem. Started to lose its shine live around 1983. Now it's a piece of hard plastic crap. She was right to ditch it from the 24KG tour and I was disappointed after seeing her in Sacramento that she had brought Dreams back in when I saw her in Sydney. And had the hide to act like bringing it back was doing us a favour.
I feel some empathy for Stevie I must admit. I also write songs and I am the same as her, I write chords and basic melodies. I rely on my producers to arrange them. I am always very appreciative when they come up with better arrangements. I don't know that Stevie is.
Waddy wouldn't have likely arranged "edge"--Jimmy Iovine would have. Or, possibly, they would have worked on it together. But the end result is not terribly imaginative. It's quite a literal interpretation of a basic riff repeated again and again without much sonic variation underneath or over it to provide great contrast. For what it's worth, some of Christine's solo songs have similar problems. "Liar" is another great, hard, driving tune. But it, like
"Edge" has so many repetitions without much variation in the supporting instrumentation. Lindsey was great with songs like this.

Admittedly, sometimes his "vision" takes away something from the magic of the demo, but songs like Gypsy and Dreams--well, they wouldn't be anything memorable without him.