View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
And what did he do in response?

After watching the video of Stevie's speech, I can't imagine the alleged smirk amounted to anything at all. I'm thinking it had to be more how he handled this walkout music issue. Seems like a small thing over which to pitch a fit.

In retrospect it might have been a good idea if, in 1997, or at least in 2001, they had signed an agreement that the band could not go on without all five members, minus any who left voluntarily or passed away.
the only place where anyone from the 5 FM members or anyone official talked about the walkout music for FM at MusiCares is Lindsey's interview with Rolling Stone here https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...firing-733460/

here is the quote from that article specifically addressing your question:
But on the phone, Azoff had a list of things that, as Buckingham puts it, “Stevie took issue with” that evening, including the guitarist’s outburst just before the band’s set over the intro music — the studio recording of Nicks’ “Rhiannon” — and the way he “smirked” during Nicks’ thank-you speech. Buckingham concedes the first point. “It wasn’t about it being ‘Rhiannon,’ ” he says. “It just undermined the impact of our entrance. That’s me being very specific about the right and wrong way to do something.”
that interview and the article that links to the lawsuit here https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...m-band-736063/ is the most extensive information we officially got.

i can tell you also the rumors part - but that's just stories through the grapevine that have not been officially told by band members: basically there was not supposed to be any music playing (other than crickets maybe?) as FM was walking on stage at MusiCares. instead, somehow Rhiannon track was given to the organizers to play over loudspeakers right before the band was going to launch in The Chain. it is unclear why and how that happened, but LB was not happy that it did (as he says in the RS interview too). some speculate that it was Karen/Stevie's way to gaslight LB because SN wanted him out of the band and needed a last straw.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"