View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I finally realized what's missing from the Buck/Vie album...

Stevie Nicks!

Hear me out, because I've actually thought about this a lot. See, I couldn't figure out why I was somewhat blase about the album. I like most of the songs a lot, and there's only one I really dislike, but the album just seemed kind of bland, like there was something missing. And then I realized that I kind of had the same issue with Say You Will, which was missing Christine McVie. I don't just mean their voices, I mean their songs.

Imagine how much better Say You Will would have been if you took away 4 of Stevie's songs and 4 of Lindsey's, and added 5 of Christine's (from the Buck/Vie album). All of a sudden, Say You Will becomes a masterpiece! I think the Buck/Vie album would have benefited the same way from Stevie's participation, but she declined so they had no choice and proceeded without her.

I suppose we FM fans have been spoiled by having three incredible and distinct singer/songwriters on one album several times over several decades, so it's probably unfair to be critical of an album when one of them decides to skip out. But each person brings something so different to the album that when one is gone, it's very noticeable. Like when you order a cheeseburger but they left the cheese off by accident- it might still be ok, but you really notice the cheese is missing.

I am not saying the band shouldn't release any more records if all three don't participate. It just took me this long to really understand why I hardly ever listen to Say You Will or Buck/Vie very often. I'm curious if anyone else feels similarly.