Thread: So...now what?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
In all seriousness, it's interesting to me how divided this board is. I dislike Silver Girl and skip it; a Lindsey fan might say Stevie's songwriting sucks and that's why it's no good, while a Stevie fan might say Lindsey's production sucks and that's why it's no good. I say it's a bad song because it just is. With Thrown Down, Stevie and Lindsey fans might say the exact opposite if they like the song- Stevie is what makes the song good vs Lindsey is what makes the song good. I say it's a good song because it just is. Generally, I admit if I like or dislike a song, I credit (or blame) the songwriter more often than not. And there are definitely a handful of Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine songs that I hate. Not a lot, but definitely a handful. Silver Girl, Family Man, and Honey Hi, are all songs I dislike, but of course plenty of people here like them.
I’m with you on a lot of this. No amount of production could help Silver Girl. The lyrics are dreadful. It’s right up there with When I See You Again’s uninspired turd lyrics. Family Man and Honey Hi are also brutal. And I absolutely can’t stand Only Over You. The beginning is nails on a chalkboard to me.

I also have no issues admitting that whatever was done to Smile at You was a complete shame. The production sucks. But then I hear what Stevie did to If You Were My Love in the many demo iterations post-Mirage up to and including how she played it on tour and I think how the hell could you ruin such a great song (Mirage era)?