View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I do like Bella Donna a lot but in general I never liked the direction that she took with her solo career. When she became obsessed with Tom Petty's music and was wanting to go in that direction, for me it never felt really natural on her. Her music on the 1975 album through Tusk and Gypsy on Mirage is, in my opinion, the true essence of who she was as an artist. It's utterly unique to her and to me feels absolutely genuine and natural. I can't say the same for a lot of her solo work. As popular as songs like Edge of Seventeen and Stop Dragging My Heart Around are, for me it just sounds like Stevie Nicks trying to be 'rock'. Even things like Leather and Lace and As the Glitter Fades to me is like Stevie trying to be that certain brand of country. I think Gypsy did what nothing on Bella Donna or The Wild Heart came close to doing.
My exact sentiments. Why the hell she went the faux rock route I will never get. She is always a case of mostly wasted potential. Only with Lindsey's production did she get out of that trap. Sigh.