View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Stevie's definitely growing more than a little barmy. Mom died, Dad died, Glen's son died, Prince died, Glenn Frey died, and Petty died. Lots of death in her world in recent years giving her an intimation of her own end and maybe making her philosophical.

But she's barmy, too—falling in love with the Twilight movies, singing with Lana Del Rey and other young Stevie surrogates, doing embarrassing cameos in several of the Ryan Murphy TV shows. She used to have pretty good taste in movies, but how can she go from Cocteau and Wyler to Twilight?!

Nope. They're just annoyances, like her inability to take studio work seriously or her penchant for telling interminable anecdotes onstage night after night. In a band, the only people you fire for being annoying are people who have no standing or value in the band.

Nicks had just finished a big, happy tour with the Pretenders when she fired Lindsey. Her solo career—with albums, press coverage, tours, guest spots, and riches—is flourishing. Why didn't she just leave Fleetwood Mac? What does she want with Fleetwood Mac? What does she get from Fleetwood Mac that she doesn't get from her solo career? If I had been her at that point, I'd have said "I quit" and gone out on tour again. Her decision to destroy the Rumours Five strikes me as mean-spirited, almost like revenge for something-or-other. It's also mean to the legions of Rumours Five fans—did she think of any of them, or just herself?
what a fantastic post. If anyone could write a Fleetwood Mac op ed piece, it would be you. That was a great read.

I think present Stevie gets this out of current FM: A sense of power and control. Affirmation that despite ALL the OTHER members, a large chunk is there because of her. At 70 this is all she has. Her songs, persona, and a circle of friends who tell her only what she likes. It was a blow to her ego when Christine came back and a double threat when the rest of the band could get along and make something without her name on it.

She now chooses wisely what she wants to attach herself to, wisely only favoring things that will put her in the spotlight. Twilight, AHS, Death of Tom Petty....all hugely convenient things to use to weave a web that only cocoons her in the spotlight, bringing her into the center of the narrative.

This is a person who literally thought so highly of herself, she presented her own autograph as a gift item to somebody else...and prided on the fact that shes stingey with signing autographs for anyone.

Last edited by BigAl84; 10-11-2018 at 07:21 PM..