View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You know, I've been thinking about stardom, and how it changes people...

So I do sound for what I'd call mid-level acts. Acts that sell 300-3000 tickets. So what I've really been thinking about is how much some of them change, even from tour to tour. I did sound for a fairly big country name, last Friday. I did the same band, last summer(when they were still fairly fresh and new), and the whole entourage was FAR more friendly, a year ago(and I've witnessed this quite a few times). It's like "stardom" has made them guarded and distant, and avoid much personal contact.
Another example....Hank Williams III. When he first started, 10 or so years ago, he helped carry gear, and was just a regular Joe. A couple years later, he was much more guarded, and the last time I worked for him, he was so distant. NOTHING like the guy I initially met.
So yeah, I'm rambling here, but I guess my point is, that I can't imagine what 40 years of touring, and avoiding people, would manifest itself...
It doesn't happen to everyone, but it seems like it does to most of them.....

(pardon the ramble)
Although I have no first-hand experience, I'm sure everything you say is true. Unfortunately, when stars begin acting guarded I think we all tend to think it's because success has gone to their head and they have become egomaniacs, and sometimes that's exactly what it is. But in a lot of cases, I bet it's just because they've been used and/or betrayed by people they thought they could trust. Certainly Fleetwood Mac had its share of hangers-on over the years.