View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think it's not a song. Free verse is something quite different. Free verse can be put to music, but it stands alone as poetry. For instance, Enya has free verse songs that I appreciate. Mabel Normand does not stand alone as a poem, of any structure. For me, These Strange Times is a poem. Mabel Normand is not, so I wouldn't classify it as free verse. As for being a song, I think a song takes more than a pairing of words and unrelated music.

The change sides gets to be more song-like than the rest of the rambling though.

But I realize most people here do like Mabel Normand. I was expressing my impression, not seeking accord. It's just that I'd been reading everyone else's takes and I just listened to the record on Friday, so I have a late reaction to what everyone has been saying for a few weeks. Until Friday, all I had was the Mabel Normand demo.

Michele
I don't think it's a song either but I love the music. It's just a stream of thought rambling like she is thinking out loud. I pick out little truths here and there in the song because basically that what she wants. She doesn't want people to sing along with it.