Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fashion Meets Music: Stevie Nicks
Posted on 25 January 2010

Stevie Nicks, the fairy godmother of the gypsy romantic look, has inspired two generations of fashionistas to drape themselves in chiffon and velvet, rock platform boots, and add feathers to their accessory kit. She entices her audience with lyrics encouraging them to evoke their uncaged spirit. Layers of fabric add to the mood as she “floats” across the stage. I’m sure many of us have our own version of Stevie or some aspect of her style integrated in our closets.

I’ve gathered some of my favorite images of and a two interpretations of her influence in fashion and music.

The “bohemian traveler” from Vogue Nippon’s Jan 2010 issue editorial is eclectic and offers a modern approach to creating a nostalgic look. The image of Dree with the black jacket on reminds me of Stevie’s use of capes, hats, and accessories. The layering is more colorful than I see Stevie, however they still have a gypsy sensibility. I’m day dreaming as we speak that these items will be in my closet when I wake tomorrow.

Dree Hemingway as a bohemian traveler in Vogue Nippon's January 2010 issue
Ruth La Ferla has a great write up in the NY Times in which Stevie noted:

“I needed a uniform,” she recalled, one that would counteract the stage fright she encountered in the mid-’70s, when she first began touring with Fleetwood Mac. At the time, her brief to Margi Kent, who still designs much of her wardrobe, was to create “something urchinlike out of ‘Great Expectations’ or ‘A Tale of Two Cities,’ ” a chiffonlike, raggedy skirt that would still look beautiful with black velvet platform boots.

Fringe Benefits
This woman has been a relevant figure in my musical upbringing as far back as memory can take me. My mother was planning on naming me Rhiannon until she came across the name Jenessa in a book she was reading during her young pregnancy. A few years ago, we saw Fleetwood Mac perform for our Mother’s Day celebration. Together we sat on the damp grass in a massive field, inhaled the summer’s night sky, and listened to Stevie’s divine voice bless us with some of the best rock songs ever crafted.

Get the look

-Layered peasant skirts
-Victorian boots
-Capes
-Romantic-inspired pieces
-Embroidery and beading
-Smudged smokey eyes

Shop

enchantedmirror.com

gypsymoon.com

Crystal Visions The Very Best of Stevie Nicks

Internet Drifting