View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Well, I sorta/kinda 'didn't mind' this tune off of the BTM album. When I caught this incarnation of FM at the Jones Beach theater here in NY, this was their opener. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect when the houselights went down and this creepy pulsing sound started coming (sort of reminded me of a horror movie or something, building to a climax where someone gets stabbed). There was a large screen covering the stage which was translucent but not transparent, where you could see the figures and I think I remember there were blue lights lighting it up (maybe they were differnt, can't remember). What I do remember though, is once the creepy, pulsing part was finished and it was sequeing into Rick's guitar and the 'ahhhhhhhh' vocals, the curtain/screen slowly rolled up (or down?) revealing the band with Stevie at center mic. I remember a wave of Stevie hysteria as the first 10 rows reacted to seeing Stevie there, everyone out of their seats and waving to her, snapping pics or whatever. I think she absently waved to the crowd. It was pretty obvious it was Stevie's show, even though she wasn't in a state to deliver. My brother-in-law remarked to me, "she looks sort of bloated".
I saw this in Wisconsin & I remember the screen had masks (like on the tour book). It lifted up after a long wait (and then tilted back, I think) - very dramatic. I don't like this song on the album, but I loved it as an opener. The suspense until the screen lifted was real. And the song gave Christine & Stevie the spotlight at different points, kind of introducing them and encouraging the crowd to applaud at those moments. The spotlight on Chris was intense when she did her solo & the crowd went nuts.
I recall that there was a very overweight and obnoxious older man near me who kept heckling Stevie about her weight, especially during Landslide: "Boy, those fat chicks sure can belt a tune (guffaw)!"

- Jake