View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thank you! my thoughts exactly every time i see the blame placed on a producer for stevie's songs not turning out right. doesn't she know what she wants, and doesn't she have a say? (she doesn't seem to have a problem expressing her opinions, judging by "you wouldn't say that to bob dylan" line...)

although having just heard the angry version of "smile at you", i have to say - that song was rocking (not just a voice, but guitar also), and is definitely not rocking on SYW.

in my ignorant world, songwriters and performers get a credit for songs, good or bad, not producers. people usually don't even know who is the producer.
Which is why Lindsey doesn't necessarily have the popular vote in FM. He may be the producer/arranger and did SO much to create the FM sound- along with a few others guys, but even THEY admit Lindsey was the commander in chief. But the songs from any of the three songwriters are music and words that have touched people. The production played a big part, but not even close. It's like the Beatles...the first thing you think about is Lennon/McCartney...and Harrison. You don't immediately associate the Beatles with George Martin, and that's exactly as it should be. Martin himself said that it was their beautiful music and he just got to play around with it.

So no matter what "magic" Lindsey poured all over Stevie's or Christine's songs, the songwriters are the ones primarily credited. This is why I'm not thrilled with this "let's blame Lindsey and Lindsey only" theme going with Stevie's SYW songs. Sorry, there are some good ones on there by her but I don't think it's her greatest stuff... Not by a long shot.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL