View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Overall I agree.

Without trying to start another Stevie bashing thread,
I think she was the problem with SYW. Slow and tired.
And then tops it off with complaint after complaint about
how bad she had it during that time.

Christine and Lindsey seem to be having a good time.
And that makes it a more enjoyable listen.

I think their next album will be even better.
I disagree that her SYW songs or slow or tired. Her voice can get a bit nasal at times (thank god Lindsey played so well on Destiny Rules) but she's got a very strong set of songs in Running Through the Garden, Everybody Finds Out, Thrown Down, and Say You Will. Destiny Rules and Illume aren't too bad either.

IMO the reason why that album is a bit exhausting is because it's almost all Stevie-style drama. You need a break once in a while, but Stevie doesn't do happy songs. Most of her stuff is angst-y or dark. What are her happy ones? We'll say If I Were You, Talk to Me, Rooms on Fire... not many and not necessarily the ones that hold up great. Lindsey seems to feed off of that, I mean the original Buckingham Nicks album isn't particularly happy either. BM feels happier because Christine REVELS in stuff that sounds happy. Unfortunately in the same way that SYW can be seen as exhausting, BM can be seen as fluffy. I think we are all in agreement that the three are best when they're together, the balance of angst and light happiness

So in all, two totally different albums with two totally different moods. I love both of them though.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)