View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, i've had quite a bit of time to mull things over. I wasn't going to write a review this time. However, if I don't write some of this stuff down I will probably forget 85% of it.

The minute the bombings happened (I'm from Boston, and luckily, no, I wasn't at the marathon due to work, however, I have stood in that exact spot before), I thought the show was going to be cancelled. Both the Celtics and Bruins had already called their games, mostly done out of respect. I thought, theres no way they are going to let the band and 20,000 people into Boston after a terror attack. However, I was proven wrong.

The attack happened on a Monday, Stevie was in Toronto at the screening (Tuesday?) that same week. I was very surprised when she *didn't* mention anything about Boston in any of the interviews.

Thursday rolled around and the show was still 'on.' I hate the day of a show, I'm always filled with anxiety. Not bad anxiety, but just excited anxiety. I had third row seats on Lindseys side. After several beers at the Fours, my family and I entered the Garden. We walked by several officers with assault rifles, calming to say the least.

I walked right into the Garden and went right to the stage. People had already gathered at the front and they were allowing the "first three rows" to go up. I took a spot to the right of Lindsey, which is great, but I didn't realize his amp would almost completely block my view of Stevie (could only see her head).

The lights went down and the audience went crazy. It looked to me like it was a sell out. I always forget how small Stevie actually is. The internet makes her look much larger. I was very excited for this show. Way more excited than I was for Unleashed. From what I saw on youtube, Stevie seemed to be moving a lot better than her 2012 stage presence.

Second Hand News - This is a fantastic opener. I knew without a doubt that they were going to open with this. I called it when they announced the tour. As a matter of fact, I think someone must have handed them the 82' Mirage set during rehearsals, because they are nearly identical. Lindsey had a guitar issue at the beginning of the song, something wasn't working. He played his solo right over my head!

The Chain - I sort of miss this as the opener. It has a different energy when its in the first slot of the set list. If they aren't going to play this first, then I think they should move it somewhere else and change the arrangement (I'll touch on this later). The crowd went nuts for this one, especially during John's solo. I'm not going to repeat what Stevie said, you've already read it.

Dreams - Boring. I understand they have to play it, but I don't think I have listened to this song once since I saw Stevie last summer!

Sad Angel - Love the harmonies on this song. It definitely was more exciting the first few times I heard it, but its still a solid Mac song. Still, however, I think both Stevie and Lindsey's solo material hold up stronger than their 2 new tracks. It sounds like Lindsey just used his guitar parts from I Know I'm Not Wrong. Very fun song, though! Stevie runs away at the end to change for Rhiannon.

Rhiannon - New shawl for this. Nothing new from her on this one, really.

Not That Funny - I'm glad Lindsey decided to talk about 'Tusk' but I think their song selections were really crappy. We've heard him do this one 100 times already, there was no need to do this again. I would have preferred IKINW again if I knew this was the other choice. What about "What Makes You Think You're the One" or "Thats Enough for Me" or hell, even "The Ledge." There were so many other wonderful choices. I hate that he landed on this one. I'm just so glad we didn't have to endure a 2x drum solo from Mick.

Tusk - Yes, sweet Jesus this rocks. Never fails. Whether its Lindsey by humself or with the Mac, this song is just amazing live. The energy is just through the roof. You can tell Stevie likes this one too. She was all over the stage.

Sisters - Now this is what i've been waiting for. I guess its what we have all been waiting for. Now I knew that this could never match up to the Mirage version, but I think they could have made it a little more interesting. First of all, no new outfit? Hello, the hooded cape would have been spectacular. Second, this should still have been in the first encore. Third, Lindseys guitar was quite weak. Mick and John were pounding away, though. I loved how at the beginning the crowd went nuts. very fun, but a little anti-climatic.

Sara - I couldn't believe this one is back in the set. Honestly, the 2004 version was plenty. I think her Soundstage version was better than any recent Mac performance. This does suck the energy right out of the set. She went for the lower parts on some of the high notes. However, I was glad that she sang the "and the wind became.." part. Also, I love the new skirts shes sporting. Was so sick of the ruffle dress. Lindsey seemed extra flirty when she went over to him. He sort of put his head on her back. They did their little circle hug thing. I think at this point shes like "this is ridiculous, but i'll play it up for the audience."

Big Love - Way overdone, but still amazing to watch.

Landslide - As sick as I am of this, it does always seem to bring a tear to my eye. Especially with everything that happened that week, it seemed extra emotional. Stevie dedicated it to Vincent again, whom she brought on stage last summer (talk about tears).

NGBA - I filmed it. Way too slow, kick it up to Rumours speed please.

Without You - This song has grown on me more than I thought it would. What was more surprising to me was how much the crowd seemed into it. Those voices seriously just melt together.

Gypsy - Why? Why? Why? Again. It doesn't work live, at least not this arrangement. I know they like to do it because Lindsey loves it, or at least thats what I think. She did twirl which is always fabulous. Its funny, a friend of ours after the show "Lindsey is pounding and hammering on the guitar, a genius really, and all Stevie has to do is twirl, A VERY SLOW TWIRL, and the place goes insane." This needs to go. Immediately. Gypsy, Sara or both. If they are not going to reinvent the arrangement, then they just need to go.

Eyes of the World - YAY! This was one of the better songs the band has done in the past 10 years. The arrangement works great. However, again, they *could* have done something different (Blue Letter). I still love it though.

GDW - Snooze. Over it.

So Afraid - Amazing guitar solo, the crowd went nuts. Its moments like this that make me wonder why his solo shows are so undersold. by the end of a Mac concert, you always have a converted crowd of Lindsey fans.

Stand Back - Love it. Never thought I would see Stand Back AND Sisters of the Moon in the same set.

Go Your Own Way - Played Lindseys guitar, per usual.

World Turning - More fun than I thought it would be. Lindsey sat down on the side of the stage, very little fan interaction though.

After the band intros, Mick said something about Don't Stop thinking about tomorrow and that this song was for us.

Silver Springs - GORGEOUS. I always forget how amazing this one is live.

As for the last song, they should Say Goodbye to it.