View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, having an obsession does change you and it's crazy. I mean, I think it's some kind of chemical that gets released inside of you, when your view is validated. I think if scientists studied it they would find it akin to the same effect drugs have on you.

I was on The Hollywood Reporter site listening to a panel with The Americans and Matthew Rhys said his character never loved Martha and just felt guilt over her, which is exactly how I read it and I was over the moon. Seriously, I wanted to find everyone who watched the Americans and say, "See, I told you," because whenever I read anything to the contrary I would get angry.

Of course, the writers didn't agree with what Matthew Rhys said at all and I had to debate with myself about whether the writers knew the character more than the actor who played him did and whether the character even belonged to the writers anymore or did the character belong to the actor or to me? (Which is what Chris Carter asked in the Milagro episode of The X-Files) I mean, these are the same questions I've asked myself over the years about Mulder and Scully and, in a way about Fleetwood Mac too.

The difference being that Fleetwood Mac members are real people and can't always (or shouldn't) be reshaped or reimagined as much as fictional characters can be.

Michele
I don't think he loved Martha. The foundation was always that he was doing his job. The guilt was his own for creating a false relationship and then having her shipped out. I think he thought, "What am I doing in this life?"