View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
What is there even left to experiment with at this point, though?

Idk, my hope would be that they wouldn't try to overthink all of the songs and would just let them be natural and organic and whatever they end up being. I feel like when they try purposefully to be left-field or they try to be FM-y or commercial it ends up sucking.
I get what you're saying. But what I thought was seriously missing from Extended Play was some of Lindsey's quirkiness. The whole thing was just so middle of the road. Bland. I think Fleetwood Mac is at it's best when Lindsey is a little bit zany, Stevie is kooky/mystical, and Christine bridges them with her breezy pop influence. I really think Lindsey will bring on his A-game with Christine's inclusion, though. I think she's able to challenge Lindsey in a way no one else can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
YES! A new record please! A great FM record has been toooo long overdue!! With Chris on record as having sent Lindsey some new material, it really does sound like a new record is most likely in the works - which would be amazing news! Stevie probably has given Lindsey some songs/demos as well. However, my only hope is that all three songwriters are given EQUAL songs for the 1st time, instead of the 3 Stevie songs to Chris' 4 and Lindsey's 5 - SYW being the exception! But since Stevie holds much, MUCH more power in the band since the 80s, i'd be really surprised if she is given the short end of the stick.

A 12 song record w/ 4 songs from each (released this year) sounds about perfect to me with a "Tango" meets "Rumours" production value. And please toss out the disappointing production of "Extended Play" - I really expected more from Mitchell Froom, but Lindsey co-produced as well . Bring in Calliat or Dashut, I now appreciate what brilliance (sound engineering) each brought to the table, to the sound of the first 5 BN era FM records. Bottom line is they need an amazing & objective sound engineer & co-producer. Hell, bring in Dave Stewart & his team- "In Your Dreams" sounded pretty amazing!
I used to disagree with the thought of going back to Ken and/or Richard. But no one has ever been able to produce this band better. I haven't heard much of what Richard has done lately, but Ken's work on his daughter Colbie's albums is just the absolute best of what was so good about the classic Fleetwood Mac sound.

Regarding the equal distribution of songs... at this point, if does end up uneven, I think it will be a mutual decision. Like you pointed out, Stevie carries a weight these days that she never did in Fleetwood Mac's prime. I think the number of songs she brings to the table will ultimately be her own decision. She didn't want to contribute anything to Extended Play, so she didn't. Equal distribution would be nice, but I want this album to be organic, too. So if that means Christine gets one additional song (or whatever), then so be it.