View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
We now know much more about the session(s) over all. Starting with the fact that the tracks listed are from two sessions, not one (R.J. Greaves’ sessionography in Celmins’ Green biography shows two dates, but does not separate the titles)

‘Need Your Love So Bad’, ‘Stop Messin’ Round’ and ‘Evenin’ Boogie’ were broadcast live on August 26th on Radio One O’Clock and the other tracks were recorded on the 27th.
In the eight years since the original inquiry went out, all of the recordings from the two shows have gone into circulation among collectors, thankfully removing the need to speculate as to what any given title may be and providing conclusive proof that Christine Perfect does not play on any of the tracks.

The only two songs that I have been unable to find any information on (in more than ten years active research), are ‘Roll Along Blues’ from a Radio One session done on March 17th 1969 and ‘Just Want to Tell You’ from May 14th 1969.

The latter certainly sounds like the title of a Kirwan composition (but saying that does not prove anything)
I have never come across the phrase in any lyrics, let alone the title for the first.
Could it have been logged incorrectly? Certainly. But again, we do not have enough (any, actually) other information that could help us out here.

If anyone does know anything about these titles, please share.
Just want to tell you....er.... what I know (Rich/BB knows this) about the state of play regarding these tracks.
Just Want To Tell You is listed in BBC documentation and the composer is listed as Not Known. Yes it sounds like it could be a Kirwan-type song-title but then I'd be surprised if the band hadn't informed the BBC of that. Again, as BklynBlue says, further info appreciated. As Peter and Danny already had a song each on this session it could have been a number by Jeremy but that's speculation on my part.

As for Roll Along Blues. Rich and I chewed this over for years and have had to agree to not be 100% sure as to our conclusions !
This is what we know - Roll Along Blues is listed in BBC documentation with a composer credit of Slim Harpo (may have been just Harpo, I forget). We checked everywhere for this title including ASCAP/BMI, US copyright catalogues,internet song searches and of course Harpo's catalogue. Nothing.
However, my tape of this session had King Bee which is a Harpo composition and the time listed on BBC docs matches give or take a second or two. But....both Rich and I agree that it doesn't sound much like the Mac in some respects though that could be Peter on harmony vocal ??
I have seen at least one other source credit their (different) off air of this song (King Bee) to Fleetwood Mac.
Now the grouping of this song (King Bee) with the rest of this session on my tape could be seen as reasonable confirmation of the theory that the BBC (not for the first time) logged the title incorrectly or were misinformed as to what the band were going to play. Coming Your Way from a later (June?) 1969 session turned out to be a different version of Early Morning Come. However my off air tape also included Mean Old World with these songs which we now know stems from 1968 (the mysterious Blues In Britain/Blues Roll On Feb 68 recording).
I am inclined to believe Roll Along Blues is in fact an error and the correct entry should be King Bee but I believe Rich is not entirely happy about this.
I hope this makes sense.
I welcome any input on this issue as well. What does everyone here think of King Bee - is it the Mac ?
and if you haven't bought Rich's book, what are you waiting for. It's the best Peter Green book out there - it's about the music, not Munich or the ancient art of grave-digging or fingernail growing. You'll learn a ton of stuff about Peter's work and influences and maybe find out about a bunch of recordings you never knew existed. Essential reading for fans.