View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

I have been listening to the tracks recorded during the band’s five day stand at the Whisky A Go-Go (January 7th through the 11th 1970) and while these are among the worst quality bootlegs, (there are worse!) the performances, I feel, are some of the band’s best. The energy is palpable and there is a not often found looseness to the playing, especially on Kirwan’s part that is just so much fun to hear.
My question is this: on a few tracks, just barely on ‘If You Let Me Love’, a little more on ‘Like It This Way’ (great version!) and most prominently, and to best effect, on ‘Sandy Mary’, there is what sounds like an electric piano or organ. That is so hard to tell is a good indication of just how poor the sound quality is.
I have always loved your piano playing and find it so frustrating that on most bootlegs the piano can barely be heard, even on numbers where it is featured, such as ‘Great Balls of Fire’.
Do you remember ever playing an electric keyboard or organ? I do not believe I ever heard you play one on any other recording.
According to Christopher Hjort’s book “Strange Brew: Eric Clapton & the British Blues Boom 1965 – 1970” both your wife Fiona and Christine McVie were traveling with the band at this time – could it have been Christine who joined the band on stage for a few numbers?
To me, it sounds like you playing; I have always loved your piano playing and find it so frustrating that on most bootlegs the piano can barely be heard, even on numbers where it is featured, such as ‘Great Balls of Fire’; but I just thought I would put this out there and see if you might remember, or would interested in sharing your thoughts about the two types of instruments.

As always, thanks in advance for your time, and your patience in answering our questions,

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder