View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
How do we know that?
Well, since you and I both know it's impossible to prove a negative, the next best thing we can do is rely on rely on first-hand accounts from the principals themselves (TV/audio interviews with band members, Mick's book, etc.). Print interviews are a good source, too, since they're often based on audio-recorded interviews and verified by fact-checkers and editors.

Then there's the fact that we're lucky to be a part of a community here that has an incredible amount of institutional knowledge, dating back in some cases to the late 60s and early 70s. These people are able to and often do step in with their perspective during contentious arguments. And of course there are a few (usually quiet) folks who are more plugged in to the band's inner circle than the rest of us.

Our job, as well-educated humans on this earth, is to take all of the relevant information we can find and form our beliefs based on the information available to us. Might we come to different conclusions? Sure. But when we're basing our beliefs on verifiable information, it makes for an enriching discussion for everyone involved. Where we deviate from that, allowing preconceived opinions and biases to seep into our views, the conversation devolves and nobody benefits.

The reason I do not believe Lindsey, or any other member of the band, has sexually assaulted another individual is because I have never come across evidence that shows he or they did. Is it possible that that has occurred and I'm unaware of it? Yes. But is it reasonable to believe one of them has sexually assaulted someone without that evidence, though? No, it's not.

That's not to say you can't have a negative opinion of Lindsey because of things he's said and done in the past. You are welcome to that view, and I'm sure it is well-founded in your mind. But to make the leap from that to sexual assault is one I am not willing to make. To me, the topic is too serious for idle, baseless speculation.