View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Yeah, but you're forgetting who we are talking about. It took a while to make Say You Will and they pretty much had all of Lindsey's songs already done, minus Stevie's backing vocals and little tweaks here and there. If they were to release something within a year, I think we'd get a lot of leftovers from the Say You Will sessions... and I just think they'd do a lot better if they went into the studio with a totally new slate. They don't necessarily need to be writing totally new songs-- but I'd like any near-completed recordings to be taken off the table. For one, if it wasn't good enough for an 18 track album in 2003, it ain't gonna be good enough now. And also, I really want to see the band writing and producing with their own personal issues from SYW in their minds. Obviously many of the fans and the band itself are not fully satisfied with SYW... I personally think that it sounds like two solo albums crashed into one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the individual tracks on the album. But as a unit, it isn't "Mac"-- it's Stevie and Lindsey.... and at times, maybe Stevie vs. Lindsey. I don't want to listen to any future releases and say the exact same thing. I'd rather wait a little longer as long as the extension is well used to make better material... and that they stay in the best musical form possible (specifically in voice).
Boy, I absolutely agree with everything you said! I know I for one, would find a way to scrape some money together to go see them if they toured in the future behind new material. Otherwise... I'm staying home. I just don't want to go hear the same songs year in and year out, slowly getting worse in form and function . I'd rather remember them for their searing performances of the SYW tour: the passion behind the new songs, next to the comforting familiarity of the classics.

Moving on, it honestly slipped my mind about SYW taking 18 months, with over half the songs being completed at the beginning of those 18 months. Yikes. It could be a WHILE before we get some new material. But I really don't think we'll see an 18 track album next time around (assuming there will be such an album, of course). I'm hoping they'll make a tighter, more concise statement ala Rumours, Gift Of Screws, etc. That's what they need... around 12 solid, familiar yet fresh sounding tunes which have different personalities, but sit well together in context. SYW was so rambling and scattered that the point it was trying to make was utterly lost. You'd think if Stevie and Lindsey can nail this idea of precision with TISL and GOS, that they could together make it happen in FM. I suppose we'll see... or maybe not.