View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I thought she wrote the song during the Tusk days...Was a verse about Robin added latter? I was just looking on the Internet and it says the Gypsy video was filmed while Stevie was in rehab (never heard that before, or maybe I did and forgot)...
Yes, the Robin verse was tacked on according to her, now:

This is what she told Entertainment Weekly:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/03/31/stevie-nicks-in/

“Gypsy”
“Oh boy, I’ve never really spoken about this, so I get verklempt, and then I’ve got the story and I start to screw it up. Okay: In the old days, before Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey [Buckingham] and I had no money, so we had a king-size mattress, but we just had it on the floor. I had old vintage coverlets on it, and even though we had no money it was still really pretty… Just that and a lamp on the floor, and that was it—there was a certain calmness about it. To this day, when I’m feeling cluttered, I will take my mattress off of my beautiful bed, wherever that may be, and put it outside my bedroom, with a table and a little lamp.

That’s the words: “So I’m back to the velvet underground”—which is a clothing store in downtown San Francisco, where Janis Joplin got her clothes, and Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane, it was this little hole in the wall, amazing, beautiful stuff—”back to the floor that I love, to a room with some lace and paper flowers, back to the gypsy that I was.”