View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
They should have kept it in their hip pocket for the next record. See, the band could have said to Lindsey something along the lines of "95% of Tusk can be how you want it. Let's please just include some overtly commercial material to accommodate other concerns." "Silver Springs" could have been held for just such a purpose.

Jackson Browne did this with all his pre-Running On Empty albums. Almost all down-tempo introspective stuff that would never make the radio, but one (maybe two) songs on each album that were clearly written for the radio ("Doctor My Eyes" "Redneck Friend" "Road And The Sky" "Here Come Those Tears Again"). He wasn't selling out. He was in fact seeing and navigating the big picture while keeping his artistic integrity in tact.

"Silver Springs" was too good to make a non-album B-side.
True
It would have been great on Tusk

Its amazing the material they had to put Silver Springs on a B side. I always thought Sleeping Angel was too good to give away to a movie soundtrack. It could have been a single off Bella Donna or Wild Heart. What about "All the beautiful worlds" It never made it to an album nor a B side.

However look at the big picture. They were just beginning to peak and gel. They were constantly writing new stuff. In their minds there was better stuff yet to come. Looking back is Monday morning quarterbacking and easy to cast doubt. But when you are churning out endless hits and album sales its easy to lose focus and not appreciate the finer things.