View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Cheat sheet

Ok, here's the thinking that was behind my breakdown of contributions to The Chain. It's mostly based on the outtakes and final cuts and live performances, rather than books or interviews, so if someone can point to credible evidence to the contrary, please correct me.

Stevie
- Lyrics to the chorus
- Title of the song <--Oops, I'd forgotten about that. That warrants bonus points.
- Harmonies on verse and echoes on chorus

Christine, John and Mick
- The elements from Keep Me There (organ; entire song in minor; etc.)
- That bass line
- Those high "still hear you saying" parts (now performed by Sharon and co.)
- Drums

Lindsey
- Bluegrass acoustic guitar (the first 30 seconds of the track, and again in the middle and throughout)
- Lyrics to the verses (I don't have proof from a book etc., but based on the outtakes I always assumed that these were pretty much provided by Lindsey. See my analysis below also.)
- Sings lead vocal on the chorus and the "running in the shadows" hooks
- Distorted guitar solo (last full minute of the song)
- Production/engineering/arrangement (with Ken etc.)
- (Edit) Isn't he even listed first among the co-writers?

Re: lyrics to the verses
- "Listen to the wind blow" etc. -- sounds like "Listen to the wind on the water" etc. to me
- "Damn this damn that" sounds like Lindsey, particularly during Rumours. Stevie has always gone on about how GYOW is too mean and crude, whereas her 'angry' songs (Silver Springs) were more classy or constructive or something
- The verse lyrics are very sparse, hence surely more Lindsey than Stevie
- The way that the verse lyrics are (IMO) a perfect fit with the bluegrass guitar made me assume that he formulated the lyrics organically while noodling, ie using his approach of "music --> lyrics", as opposed to Stevie's more usual approach of "lyrics --> music"

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 09-13-2018 at 01:30 AM..