View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Default translated from the italian edition of Rolling Stone with google's help, enjoy!

The terrific playlist of Dario Argento
The selection of music that accompanies the interview with the master of suspense

The masters of the fear, the thriller and the hard-boiled, the ones that scare us (in a good way, of course) with their films and their works, what do they fear? We asked at the XXIV edition of the Rome Film Festival.

A unique festival, entirely devoted to crime novel and noir fiction: a film festival where the best film in competition is awarded the Black Lion (they're adorable, the prize is themed). In the "Fear at Midnight" events are being placed unpublished international works , thrilling horror cinema, retrospectives and tributes to the protagonists of the international Noir.

For literature, instead, there are meetings and conferences with the best mystery writers and the assignment of the Raymond Chandler Award for career and the Giorgio Scerbanenco Prize for the best Italian noir novel.

With this framework, what better than an interview in two voices, those now distinctive of Dario Argento and Carlo Lucarelli?
To flush out their fears and their worst nightmares, to find out what they cannot write about and what they wish they could say about Edgar Allan Poe.

We begin our chat with Dario Argento, the master of the nightmare for excellence.

We ask now: What is Dario Argento afraid of?
Phobias I have many, but as a child I was really terrified by a corridor: the corridor of my house.

I was very small and the corridor obsessed me because it started from my bedroom and ran through the house.
In the evening, when I went to bed, I kept staring at it. It was so long and in dim light and for that frightened me. It scared me every night.

Let's speak about your autobiography: "Fear", published by Einaudi and edited by Marco Peano
I put everything in it. From when I was a child, at the age of four years, until now. Since I received black marks in school because I refused to read Manzoni, because I wanted to read Dos Passos instead, and about when I did the "diviner", as I shot a movie, to be able to find the suitable woods.

I wanted to tell the realization of all my work, why I love Banana Hoshimoto and how I write my scripts, just thinking that the story I want to tell is not fiction but it really happened, somewhere, someplace.

What would you like to ask Lucarelli?
I know him well, we worked together in the past. I would ask him how he manages to do all those history programs for RAI (translator's note: RAI is the acronym for Italian RAdio-television)
I like them a lot, but I'd really want to understand how he manages to make so many!

What kind of program would you like to do on TV?
I'd like to adapt Edgar Allan Poe's tales, bring them on television. It would be a gift made especially for the one who I consider my master.

I am a great reader, I love novels and essays. I've never been, even as a child, a fan of comic books, while I really loved literature.

Why don't we talk about Turin, scenario of your films?
I recently brought to Turin, to Tff (translator's note: Turin's Film Festival), my restored copy of Deep Red.
I presented at the Festival and it was a great emotion to find myself again in those places. I rarely happen to see the places where I shot my movies one more time.

I like the metaphysical parts of Turin. The Art Deco ones. I am fascinated by the courts, by the stairs. It 's a city full of stairs and staircases, beautiful, each one different. I like the architecture of some buildings, so gothic, and I especially like the layout of the city, such as the periphery.

The periphery, in fact, was created by Fiat for the workers. Those small houses, those gardens, I liked them a lot, among other things I've also shot a movie there, Sleepless. It was a movie all filmed in the suburbs. Yes, that movie is all made in suburbs and courtyards.

What is the actor you directed with most difficulty?
Surely the first. Tony Musante, in The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. He criticized me from the start.

Since I was a novice he thought he could do what he wanted. But I had a clear idea of ​​how I wanted to do the film.
I had made the critic for many years, I was passionate about movies, I knew very well what I wanted to do and how to do it. There were conflicts that lasted until the end of the production!

When one becomes an accomplished director do these problems disappear?
Not at all. The problem remains. For example, I had some disagreements with the leading actress of Opera, Cristina Marsillach.
She was young, she was 19 when we shot. Yet she gave me a lot of problems too.

What was the most difficult film to shoot?
Surely Suspiria, although it was great fun to realize. At the time there were no means for the special effects I wanted, so we had to actualize a lot with games of mirrors, it was all very complex. And also shooting Opera was very difficult, I had to film in a theater, it was a mess.

Could you suggest some good horror, released recently, that you liked?
There are not many at all. Lately I only watch oriental movies, Korean or Japanese, they are very good horror movies. But the titles are hard to remember ... But also from South America are coming interesting titles, in addition to the current Japanese or Korean film that I really like.

David Lynch will make a third series of Twin Peaks. What do you think?
I found Twin Peaks bizarre, but not outstanding. I do not know, in the end everyone does what he wants. It seems a bit weird. Had he got no better ideas?

Which TV series follows?
Everyone asks me this thing of the TV series! There are many, all of them are similar, interesting, well done. It is useless to discuss about it, they are really the best of American cinema.

Here's what the master of suspense listens to and why ("I have so many favorite songs, but I think that I cannot make a playlist, I can't choose!"):

1. "My Way" Sid Vicious

"Because it is one of the most beautiful songs sung by Sid Vicious."

2. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" U2

"This, I have always adored it."

3. "Purple Rain" Prince

"There was a period in the '70s and' 80s when there was an explosion of wonderful songs, I can hardly choose. I like that song by Prince, what's the name ... Purple Rain. "

4. "Imagine" Lennon

"For me it's the only essential song, the one that cannot miss. But strictly sung by Lennon. "

5. "Viva l'Italia" Francesco De Gregori

"When I went to America I brought along some Italian songs to hear them, to have something from my country. And there was a song that when I listened to it, I was always a bit moved, since I was so far away. And it was this, De Gregori's. "

- See more at:http://www.rollingstone.it/musica/ne....6K8YkC39.dpuf

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-06-2015 at 05:01 PM..