Thread: Rumours II
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hahahahahahahaha
I always thought that the White Album was more like a Rumours II than Tusk. I can't see similar things in both albums, but the White Album and Rumours share some things maybe. I mean, the style of the songs, you can put all the songs from both albums and you won't find the difference! Except on some of the lyrics, of course...
It's clear that the sound of Tusk is more similar to Law & Order or Mirage.
The Rumours II came from the past, not from the future!
What if Rumours was first and the White Album was next??
Yeah, and I think this is why people were so excited to get the next Mac album in 1979, because they'd done FLEETWOOD MAC and RUMOURS are both were amazing albums with incredible songs in a similar vein. Granted that the drama behind RUMOURS turned it into a cultural zeitgeist album, and there was just no way to replicate that, even if they had kept in the same vein.

By doing what they did with TUSK they at least won an artistic victory if not a commercial one. I think another album in the MAC/RUMOURS style would have been met with "meh" both artistically and commercially at the time and in hindsight. TUSK on the other hand has increased substantially in artistic evaluation.