Thread: Landslide piano
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Why is Stevie performing Landslide with Neil when she should be playing it herself on piano? It makes no sense.
Listen to this and tell me she cannot play
I have listened to this,
and am here to tell you that she cannot play.

Judging by the metronome/drum track clicking in the background, the fact that it is a demo (which she usually makes by recording layers of rhythm, instrument and then multiple vocal layers, one after another), and the fact that all evidence suggests that she is not capable of playing that while singing at the same time, I think you'll find that she is simply layering her vocal on top of a piano track, rather than singing it while playing. And thus, no, she would not be able to do this on stage (I think it's fair to say that we have seen the extent of her current "singing while playing" skills in that Gypsy video, which was not even as complicated and fast as this SOTM demo).

Landslide? Yes--absolutely brilliant lyrical poetry, deserving of its enduring status as a coverable classic. Not sure what happened to her prowess in that department, but she peaked very early and Lindsey is peaking very late.

I was impressed with Neil's guitar chops in his Landslide accompaniment, albeit being a mere cover performance of Lindsey's iconic arrangement of that song since The Dance (and the stupidness of it not being Lindsey, given their history with the song dating right back to its inception). I had assumed that Neil was just a strummer.

But Stevie playing it live on piano?
What would she do for the complicated and beautiful melody line in the bridge--just give up playing and sing "doo doo doo doo..." into the mic?

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 12-19-2018 at 08:17 AM..