View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 12:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
SB- which she basically stole from Prince.
SDMHA- Tom and the Heartbreakers which she added vocals to
Dreams- which became a hit because of John's signature bass line, Chris and Lindsey's backing vocals (with hers) on the pre chorus which was Ken's idea, and Lindsey's amazing guitar work winding through it and with Chris's amazing synth lines.

She can't do anything by herself. If left on her own, she could not sit and entertain an audience her and a piano (think Christine, or Tory Amos, or Billy Joel, for example) or her and a guitar (think Lindsey, Tom, Mike, Bruce, or a million others).
I could not agree more.

Most of her Fleetwood Mac songs are great because of the contributions of many: multiple musicians, vocalists, and producers combining their talents to make an outstanding work of art.

That said, her solo work quite frankly is weak. I cannot listen to her albums. I own all of them because I wanted to like them being such a FM fan for so long, and yet am NEVER compelled to listen to any of it... truly, NEVER. Whenever I have in the past, I get bored immediately. Her best song, as already mentioned, was gifted to her by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers after she basically stalked and hounded him. So she added vocals: big whoopee.

I will never understand why people love her solo work or pay big bucks to hear her sing it. I feel like any number of musicians could produce similar quality. It's no where close to her FM tracks and we all know why. /rant over

(side note: I've never understood why Fleetwood Mac agreed to perform Stand Back for so many tours. As if they don't have enough FM songs to choose from! I simply don't get it... except for Stevie throwing her weight around.)