View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
I've always thought this performance was lackluster at best and a truly missed opportunity to make those who thought of her as lightweight entertainment (which there were a lot of) think otherwise. Regardless, among other drugs/drink that were going through her system onstage, I believe she was tripping her head off on LSD.

My theory as to why her vocal performance sounds so tired is that the WHOLE day leading up to her showtime was a giant party, which she loves, which she would have been at the center of, and she NEVER stopped talking (and laughing and carrying on). She's chatty by nature and I bet she hadn't stopped talking in the 10 hours before that show. Tripping with your friends? I bet she never was silent. Also, at that point, she was into her husky speaking voice, regardless of how professionals told her to raise her speaking pitch to where it belongs. She spoke too low back then and that, along with everything else, did her no favors that day.

She blew a golden opportunity with that show because she wouldn't shut up. She had 1/4 tank of gas left when she took that stage.

I await the slings and arrows.
No slings or arrows but I could not disagree more. She was awesome here in 1983. Her only rough song was Edge of 17. I saw the Wild Heart Tour and as I said earlier this looked like it was years earlier. This was her best performance of 1983 by far. Have you seen her space cadet, high as a kite performance in Largo just 6 weeks later?

Coked out here? YES but still in command.