View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Stevie was talking recently about brainstorming with her friends to make the Rhiannon movie project a reality. Hate to say it, but it’s just not very realistic.
I don't think it ever was particularly realistic. Back in 1978, Rolling Stone reported that Stevie & her exec friends were working with some scriptwriters & directors to try to pull something together. In thirty-two years, it's only been Stevie herself who has periodically expressed the desire to get back to it. I don't think anyone -- besides us loony fans -- really cares.

Quote:
I gather Stevie imagines it as Lord of the Rings type epic, but the truth is that The Mabinogion is a bunch of obscure myths few people know. At least the Lord of the Rings, using that as an example, had a devoted following before it was made into the movies and then introduced to the general public. I can’t imagine a producer willing to front big $$$ to make Rhiannon a movie. And I don't think Stevie has the clout to create interest in it.
Robert Halmi Sr., a TV producer, has in recent years produced a lot of mythic stories for television, from the sequel to GWTW to the story of Odysseus to King Arthur. But all his stuff, despite having some name stars, is essentially shlock.

Quote:
Also, the real Rhiannon myth, if done literally, is a little weird story-wise (meaning how she’s punished – read on). From what I remember, Rhiannon comes from a fairy world, marries a mortal king, and has a baby with him but it gets kidnapped. Rhiannon is accused of the crime She has to stand by the castle gate and offer to carry people up to the palace on her back! Later they do find the baby, and Rhiannon is exonerated. Stevie and gang will have to do some major rewriting of the tale.
Which isn't Stevie's strong point -- coherent, sustained narrative writing. I don't think she'd have anything more to do with a screenplay than she usually does with the arrangements & production on her albums.

One possibility is that the film doesn't have to adapt the Mabinogion. It can adapt that shlocky romance novel Stevie was reading in 1974 that gave her the name -- the one about the girl in modern-day society who was possessed by an ancient spirit. (I may have that plot point wrong.)

Quote:
The only time it could have gotten made was about 30 years ago when some production company actually offered Stevie (at the height of her fame then) to do it, though it didn’t work out in the end. I think it was Danny Goldberg who mentioned this in his book. Wonder how it would’ve tuned out. Something good like John Boorman’s ‘Excalibur’, or something really awful?
Stevie -- & we -- should be so lucky, to get an EXCALIBUR out of it.

Maybe one of the highly visual & sensual Chinese directors can make something memorable out of all of it. But the whole thing just strikes me as a lark.

moviekinks.blogspot.com