View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

aleuzzi, I agree with you completely. Stevie has a much better range these days than people give her credit for. Although she is a contralto, around 1973, notes as high as G5 sound possible. I don't think any of the three songwriters ever had a 3 octave range, but I'm sure they all had, and have possibly kept 2.5 octave ranges, just with different notes. For example, up until Tusk, I guess Stevie had a comfortable range of about C3-F#5, while from Tusk up until around Tango, although less comfortable, she definitely could have managed Bb2-E5. These days I'm not so sure, judging by the Goodbye Baby B2 and Destiny Rules Bb2, a note as low as Ab2 could be possible, but a D5? I've heard B4s from fairly recently so maybe...

As for Christine, it's obvious she has been using her lower range a lot more recently. The layout I've used for the list in the first post is a fairly good indicator of range over time, although it's far from finished! I tend to do the same when I do this with other singers.

Cheers