View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As rough as Stevie's singing is on "Juliet" and "Ooh My Love" the passion and warmth in her voice are still evident. I can see why neither song was chosen for TITN (they don't fit with the other material--or they fit even less than the ones that were chosen). But at least on these demos I can hear the old Stevie. On "When I See You Again" and "Welcome..." she sounds disengaged, distant, even tranquilized. I never understood why the band didn't try to record "Planets of the Universe" and "Smile at You" during these sessions. They'd tried both songs before and presumably that familiarity could have been used to their advantage.

On another note, I wish the version of "You and I Part 2" with Christine on lead vocals was included. Her performance of the song is so much more convincing than Lindsey's. I also wish the demo of "Everywhere" was included.

My overall reaction is that a number of these songs sound like FM under all the synths and drum machines. I wish more of them got a chance to stand naked.