Thread: Lincoln show
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Review: Songs and story time with Stevie Nicks, Chrissie Hynde in Lincoln

LINCOLN — A pair of rock star women delivered a rock star show.

Stevie Nicks was joined by Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders for four hours of rock ‘n’ roll Monday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Hynde and her band took the stage for an hour of hits including “I’ll Stand by You” and “Brass in Pocket” before Nicks and her eight-member band played for more than three hours.

The pair shared the stage for “Stop Dragging My Heart Around,” the smash hit originally by Nicks and Tom Petty. They spent the song singing to each other and dancing, and the legendary singers embraced at its end.

I love her,” Hynde said.

I have a new duet partner,” Nicks replied.

It was an inspiring moment from a long set full of them, delivered by two women who have been delighting audiences for decades and who can still rock a guitar, dance their hearts out and hit all the notes well into their 60s.

Among her many stories about writing songs with Fleetwood Mac and solo records with Petty and Prince, Nicks had many inspiring messages.

Never give up,” she said, directing fans to stand up to anyone who dares block them from their goals. “You know what, get out of my way. I’m coming through. I have a dream.

Nicks’ performance could have been an episode of the (sadly) long gone “Storytellers” series from VH1.

There’s a lot of stories tonight,” Nicks said at the top of the show.

She performed only 18 songs, but she filled out the show by telling tales of moving to Los Angeles with Lindsey Buckingham, hanging out in Tom Petty’s basement and inviting Prince to play on “Stand Back.”

Her “strange friend,” as she called him, came in and laid down his tracks, “then he was gone in a purple poof,” she said.

The performance spanned Nicks’ entire career, beginning with the Buckingham Nicks’ “Crying in the Night” and going all the way to 2009’s “Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream),” which was inspired by “Twilight.”

Many of the songs came from Nicks’ latest album, “24 Karat Gold,” an album of reworked songs sourced from old demos that Nicks joked she pulled from her “gothic trunk of magical mystery,” which apparently even contains a rock demo of “It’s Raining Men.

But Nicks also pulled from her extensive catalog of hit songs including Fleetwood Mac’s “Rhiannon” and her own “Edge of Seventeen,” and each one got an origin story punctuated by Nicks’ giggles and nonsequiturs.

Dressed in her trademark black chiffon, she also donned furry shawls and sang from behind a scarf-draped mic stand. Nicks even brought out her original silk chiffon scarf, which appeared on the back of her “Bella Donna” album.

Fans loved it. They stood up to sing the words to favorite songs, shouted their love for Nicks and danced in the arena’s aisles.

Fans came to their feet to sing along with “Landslide,” and Nicks thanked them profusely.

Thank you, everybody. You have been an awesome, awesome, awesome audience,” Nicks said. “I really, deep in my heart, appreciate so much that you were an awesome audience.

http://www.omaha.com/go/music/review...f0d042e7f.html