View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
AMEN to that statement!!! I have supported Stevie Nicks' career for 37 years year. I've ran to every tour, bought every record the day it was released, and clamored for any sight I could get of the High Priestess. The fantastic thing about Stevie is that, even when her "cool factor" was waning in the late 80's, she NEVER SOLD OUT. When agents and record company slimes were insisting that she change with the times, she stood firm. There was a time when record company execs told her that if she didn't start recording songs from OUTSIDE WRITERS, that her career was OVER! She tried it once (TIMESPACE), and then snapped to her senses. Someone who hangs out with Bob Dylan and Tom Petty is NOT going to record cheesy pop songs by Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly and Holly Knight.

When I was a child in the 70's and 80's, there were sometimes VERY FEW places that you could see Stevie, other than occasionally on MTV. She was very seldom on The Tonight Show or Late Night (until about 1998). She never performed on American Bandstand, The American Music Awards, Grammys, or any other outlets. To my amazement, she made two appearances on the tacky weekly show "Solid Gold", where it was the producer’s policy that ALL acts lip sync. Stevie was one of only 2-3 artists to refuse, thank God! All of that LIMITED EXPOSURE, yet she still managed to become a ROCK ICON in 2014. Why? Mostly because of her brilliant songwriting and style. But, also because SHE REFUSED to walk down the bland road to mediocrity and tastelessness. (SETTING: 1983---Stevie, like it or not, shows like "Star Search with Ed McMahon", "American Bandstand", and "Solid Gold" are vital to your album sales, if you don't appear on them, YOU WON'T HAVE A CAREER IN 20 YEARS, this is how things are done now! STEVIE: Hell no, I pissed the "SG" producers off, they wanted me to lip sync...I don't think so!)

The aging process can be difficult for all of us. Stevie has expressed disappointment that her records don’t sell anymore. Well, unless you run in the likes of Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, or the 15-30 demographic, no one is selling records anymore. It burns my hide that some publicist is convincing Stevie that she must resort to appearances on bland and uninteresting TV shows to remain relevant in today’s market. To hell with the market. This woman doesn’t need record sales! She doesn’t make more than a few cents from each record sold anyway, the record exec demons eat that up. Her solo tours are successful and Fleetwood Mac is red hot! She doesn’t even need a record label, she has enough clout to release the music on her own (as so many respected musicians are doing today). Glee and AHS appearances are tolerable, because they still have somewhat of a “coolness” about them. But now, Liz Rosenberg (also Madonna’s publicist) is trying to pimp Stevie out to mentoring a karaoke contest! Liz, with all due respect, how dare you! Stevie Nicks, get another management team before you end up starring in your own reality show in an attempt to sell records. These people do not have your best interests at heart.
Liz Rozenburg isn't trying to pimp Stevie out. She is just along for the ride. Stevie is lucky to get the gig. It further solidifies her legend status and she doesn't have to do much work.