View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow The Wild Heart and The Distance - 1983 Jimmy Iovine

There is striking resemblance between Stevie's The Wild Heart and Bob Seger's The Distance. This is no coincidence though. Both albums were worked on at almost the same time by Jimmy Iovine and engineered by Shelly Yakus. Jimmy used many of the same musicians for both albums: Russ Kunkel, Bobbye Hall, Don Felder, Waddy Wachtel and Roy Bittan.
The albums were released 6 months apart.
Both album names begin with the word "The"
Both albums peaked at #5 on Billboard
Both albums had a top 5 single, a top 15 single , and a top 30 single on Billboard charts
Both albums sold 2 million copies

According to the "Seger File" it was a tough decision to pick a first single from "The Distance". Jimmy played the album for Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks and Bruce Springsteen. Petty, Stevie and Bruce all wanted "Even Now" as the first single and thought it was a #1 song. The record label finally agreed on Shame on the Moon as the first single which went to #2 on Billboard. Even Now was the second single which reached #12 on Billboard. Even Now has Russ Kunkel on drums and Roy Bittan on piano. The song sounds so much like Enchanted. They play lots of "Even Now" on Siruis-XM Classic rewind. I turn it up in the car and sing Enchanted to it. It is almost exactly the same song. Even the ending is the same and "Even Now" and "Enchanted" have the same number of syllables.
I could not find a studio cut of "Even Now" on youtube. Bob does not allow much of his music on youtube. But I did find a live cut of the song. The live cut does not have Roy or Russ but you can get the idea. Next time you hear Even Now on the radio you will instantly hear Enchanted. You can almost replace the lyrics on either song.

Even Now live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjSiUUdIgik

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-19-2016 at 08:12 AM..