Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from an article on the Classic Rock Art Show]

Traveling back in time to the heart of classic rock ‘n’ roll
March 15, 2011 by Jessica Herring

http://temple-news.com/2011/03/15/tr...E2%80%99-roll/

Lennon’s original drawings. In 1991, the curator of the show, Scott Segelbaum, created the Classic Rock Art Show in Los Angeles.

“I had worked in radio for over 20 years [and] I am a fan of classic rock,” Segelbaum said. “I love John Lennon’s artwork. Then I thought, it’s interesting – John Lennon, Jerry Garcia, David Burns from the Talking Heads and David Bowie went to art school. There is a common thread here. All of these people are artists, so I thought, ‘Why not do a rock ’n’ roll art show?’”

Segelbaum garnered artwork from classic rock musicians by soliciting band managers and publicists. He also received donations of artwork such as original paintings and handwritten lyrics. Segelbaum then created the show.

“We raised half a million dollars for an AIDS charity,” Segelbaum said. “On opening night, there was Elton John, Stevie Nicks, Brian Wilson, Graham Nash, Robby Kreiger from the Doors and Peter Frampton. It was a really incredible event.”

Since the show’s success, Segelbaum has curated a yearly art show. After accepting an offer to come to Philadelphia, his idea evolved.