View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Just because Stevie claimed herself to be a peacekeeper -- which by the way I interpreted as yet another one of those fantasy-land statements she made because I don't believe for a second she is a peacekeeper.
Ouch... no love for the brownie/blond-haired girl, I see. *lol*
Better be careful, Carne, or people might start accusing you of misogynism! (that was just a joke, by the way.)

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Johnny Stew, I think we must be careful not to try to relate all lyrics to what has happened between Lindsey and Stevie. I suspect he stopped writing about her long ago.
I think it's time to face reality.
D'Oh! See, I knew if I mentioned Stevie's name within my interpretation, the whole thing would be dismissed as fluff.

I'm not saying that it *is* written about her, or that I even *think* it is... I'm just saying that it's one possible theory. One of those "what ifs."
I even tried to make the whole "Stevie is the Peacekeeper" thing a bit tongue-in-cheek, with the Beatles/"the walrus is Paul" reference.

Anyway, I still strongly feel that the "peacekeeper" in the song, is someone who has given a lot of themselves, to make a relationship work out. Now they're battle-fatigued, and on the brink of giving up... so, within his lyrics, Lindsey's telling them to keep their eyes on the prize.

But then, hey, this is the best example of a great song... that we can all have such vastly different opinions on its meaning, and yet still enjoy it to such a degree.
He seems to be giving almost as much attention to his lyrics now, as he always has to the music behind them... which is something I don't think can necessarily be said for some of Lindsey's earlier work, and is definitely something I'm really loving about his new songs.
For me, the lyrics are the meat and potatoes of a song, and everything else is just gravy... so I'm very happy with this turn of events.

Johnny Stew